Add/Drop Rule Change Request

Talk fantasy baseball, player evaluation, strategies and all things baseball!

Add/Drop Rule Change Request

Postby Jackal31 » Wed Apr 04, 2018 6:12 pm

This is my first league and understand this site has been active for some time now. I was attracted to this site because I felt other sites "stole" the proceeds and contributions to run leagues. That said, I have been unfamiliar with specific details of this site.

To help provide some insight for my request, I work Monday-Friday and am unavailable from 5.30am-5.30pm. Due to my schedule, I am unavailable to process any add/drop functions for my team. The time restraints prohibit me from being able to make last minute decisions.

I dont understand why 7am was chosen as a limitation for the add/drop early rule. It would be nice if the restriction was lifted at 12am and allowed through the first game on Monday. Is there a specific reason it starts at 7am as dropped players are already placed on waiver restrictions for the next week?

I dont know if this has been brought up before, if so, please redirect me to that thread.

Any and all help is appreciated.
Jackal31
Rookie

Re: Add/Drop Rule Change Request

Postby ChrisToeFer » Thu Apr 05, 2018 4:58 pm

Jackal,
Thanks for the question, it's a popular one. Let me explain some of the reasoning behind why it's setup this way.

We consider free agent adds a last resort that should only come into play due to forgetting about waivers, missing out on all your players in waivers, or a late breaking injury. So we make a free agent add period available in most of our leagues, but we try to limit the time frame it is available so we are not giving an advantage to owners sitting at their computer all day (or night) picking up on player news. Most higher dollar leagues don't even have a free-agent add period for just this reason.

So keeping in mind the above, there is no perfect time to open the free agency period when our customers span 4 time zones and games start as early as 11am ET. We chose 7am, as it does give 4+ hours before the first game in the worst case (Patriots Day) and normally either 6 or 12 hours, depending on the first game of the day. Anything earlier and it's deemed too unfair to West Coasters, anything later and it's not enough time.

Thanks,
ChrisToeFer
ChrisToeFer
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Jackal31 » Thu Apr 05, 2018 7:00 pm

Chris,

thank you for the prompt and helpful response.

I wont disagree with many of the things you have said. But you also supported an issue that does seem to happen periodically. If an add does not process, or a late breaking injury (no pun intended) does occur, our bench limitations may have an impact on not being able to swap out an active player for a non-active player. This puts a paying customer at a disadvantage.

If add/drops are only assessed at one point in the week, it wouldnt really matter who is watching more often. I think this supports the entire customer base more than it provides advantages to a particular few. In my situation, I check the news before leaving for work to check and make sure my lineup is okay. As a result, I am still at the mercy of not being able to change if something came up right before game time that day (especially if an injured player is already in reserve).

In my profession, I assess what is best for the overall body of work. Given this situation, I would like to think people in the position such as mine are at a disadvantage to those who are able to make changes only an hour or so later. I'm just suggesting to be given an opportunity to make changes for a competitive lineup. This could be viewed as a penalty. Please correct me if I'm wrong as I dont mean to create additional conflict.

My only other suggestion if this were not something to change, would be to expand the bench to support a larger variety of replacements and eliminate completely the add/drop period (personally, I see more people voicing complaints about this idea than the first).

I thank you for your time in reviewing this.

-Tony
Jackal31
Rookie

Postby Jackal31 » Mon Apr 01, 2019 1:05 pm

Noticing I brought this up last year, I see there has been a change in the format this year. Now, the time has been moved back instead of up? What's up with that?

Has there been any thought to providing your members with a survey about the add/drop time and changing it to support the populous? If add/drops were avaliable right after waivers were processed, then the west would have the advantage (if that's still a concern), but it also gives people on the east an opportunity to process requests prior to 9am (or 6am for those who report for work).

Are either of these things RT has or will consider? Could an explanation be supported please?
Jackal31
Rookie

Postby ChrisToeFer » Mon Apr 01, 2019 1:28 pm

Jackal,

We listened to many customer comments last year and adjusted to a 9am ET (6am PT) start for unrestricted free agency due to 7am ET (4am PT) simply being too early for Pacific Time Zone customers. There is no ideal time that works for all, we're just trying to find a middle ground that most customers can work with... without having to get up at 4am, for example. Sorry, but we just are not prepared to open free agency up at midnight, which would inconvenience 99% of our customers for those few that are in your situation.

Thanks,
ChrisToeFer
ChrisToeFer
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Jackal31 » Mon Apr 01, 2019 4:26 pm

You're making it sound like I'm suggesting this ONLY to benefit myself. I'm at least trying to be more open-minded (and constructive) about it by suggesting a midnight opening. I too do not benefit from this at all, but in particular, west coasters would find it more beneficial since it opens at 9pm Sunday night for them. How is that limiting their options? You make it sound like I'm going out of my way to bitch about something. I'm hoping to offer an idea that can be supportive of everyone.

And where are these comments you speak of? I look in the forums and see very little activity. Is this in the realtime chat?

Also, how is it that putting the window of add/drop during a "standard" 9-5 (ET) shift helping everyone? That's a line and you know it. You've suggested you made the change based off multiple comments....so your decision was biased from these few? I suggested a survey of owners to support these times better.

The bottom line is, I'm just asking you look into it and offer something that is more fair in the big picture. Even the addition of add/drops extending past the deadline of the first game would be something to work with where only the games that haven't started allow players to be applicable. This would allow many more people with limited windows of opportunity a chance to make changes (as opposed to 4 hours during a work day).

Another option...process claims on Sunday mid-day. This would allow nearly everyone to review and process add/drops Sunday night in preparation for Monday's games. I dont know if that's feasible...but again, trying to be constructive.
Jackal31
Rookie

Postby ChrisToeFer » Mon Apr 01, 2019 6:43 pm

Don't get me wrong, we appreciate your suggestion Jackal. As everything here, we're always re-evaluating and adjusting to make things better. We'll include your comments in that.

This forum is not very indicative of our customer base. For every post you see here we get hundreds of emails and phone calls. Between emails, phone calls, twitter, facebook, forums, chat lobbies, etc., we feel like we know our customer base pretty well. And that's where we're getting feedback that you don't necessarily see.

Thanks,
ChrisToeFer
ChrisToeFer
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Jackal31 » Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:18 pm

So, here we are with a case and point situation....I discovered this morning that Dahl has an abdominal strain (written in a game recap) and will likely hit the IL. I would have made a priority to get a player in his spot and get some stats this week. Now, because of the restrictions, I was unable to get this add in the small window that is provided.

I get that youre trying to accommodate people...what I dont get is why its such a big deal to have a larger window for transactions. We are all paying customers just the same. Part of my frustration does come from last year as well. Losing the league in the final week after have about a 90% odds of winning really takes the cake. The stars had to align just right for that to happen. Every stat collected in this league is important for the end picture. This will now be two weeks in a row I have a player who doesnt collect stats.

You cant tell me things are fair for everyone when it isnt.
Jackal31
Rookie

Postby ChrisToeFer » Tue Apr 09, 2019 12:10 am

I feel like we're going around in circles here. Sorry to hear about your unfortunate situation, but it really changes nothing we've already said. We're not going to adjust things and inconvenience thousands of customers for a couple customers that can't get access to the internet for a good chunk of Monday morning and afternoon, which is extremely rare in today's connected world. The rules clearly specify the window for add/drops, everyone knows them going in. If you can't make that work then perhaps ensure you have backups at every position on the bench or get a co-manager that can adjust things for you on Monday. Dahl was actually injured Sunday evening and we had two injury reports posted an hour or two before waivers ran. You might get our App and use the Notes feature for "Just my players" to get the latest news every Sunday night before finalizing your waiver claims too.
ChrisToeFer
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Jackal31 » Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:22 am

This is absurd. "Thousands of customers are inconvenienced" how? You keep saying the same things over again but without substance. Is there collusion that takes place? Was there collusion taking place? If it is collusion, youre penalizing the people trying to play the game as opposed to penalizing the corrupt individuals involved. I follow the rules of my employer....access is extremely limited for the window you've provided. Not only that , I shouldn't have to detail my schedule for you. I can't even watch the game that late.

Again, you're unable to assist every paying customer. Had I known going into this year the add/drop change, I wouldn't have rejoined since it was a problem last year. Why is it, this site has different rules than other sites when it comes to the window?

Telling me I need to figure it out in a limited time is no different than telling the others to figure it out too. In the case I've offered, EVERYONE gets the same opportunity to makes changes and compete.
Jackal31
Rookie

Postby Jackal31 » Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:24 pm

Last question...when was the add/drop rule adjusted from 7am to 9am?
Jackal31
Rookie

Postby ChrisToeFer » Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:21 pm

November 2018
ChrisToeFer
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Jackal31 » Tue Apr 09, 2019 10:20 pm

This is the last time I'll give money to the site if this is left unchanged. I'd also like to hope any further rule changes would be supported with a notice.
Jackal31
Rookie

Return to RealTime Baseball