#1 Pick in the NFL Draft

Talk fantasy football, player evaluation, strategies, pre-game break downs...

#1 Pick in the NFL Draft

Postby crash » Wed Mar 23, 2005 9:44 pm

Who are the 49ers going to take? Seems that Benson is a safe pick, but the 49ers have so many needs. They really need an OL. Who is the top OL coming out this year? I do not know of any real #1 stand outs.
crash
Rookie

Postby Pro Bowl Train » Wed Mar 30, 2005 11:40 pm

based on everything being said, QB seems like what they will do in the end although thye could defintely use a workhorse RB like Benson. One would think Nolan would've appreciated J. Lewis' success in BAl and will at least look hard at RB.
Pro Bowl Train
Rookie

Postby Yoda » Wed Mar 30, 2005 11:48 pm

Aaron Rodgers if they keep the pick
Yoda
Rookie

Postby crash » Thu Mar 31, 2005 1:54 am

Is Aaron Rodgers worth the first pick? I mean the kid is good and follows in the lineage of Harrington and Boller, but he does seem like he worth the first overall pick. They could trade down a fews spots and still get him or Alex Smith, save a few bucks and get an extra pick. There have to be a couple of teams at least thinking about Cedric Benson or Ronnie Brown and neither of those guys will last long. The 'Niners would smart to trade down and get some extra picks.
crash
Rookie

Postby skeeza00 » Thu Mar 31, 2005 4:55 am

My guess is Rodgers will be the pick. I would take Brown over Benson.
skeeza00
Rookie

Postby OPPirates » Thu Mar 31, 2005 5:40 pm

IMHO they don't pick #1 and trade down. They should still be able to get a good QB later on and they need to fill out other areas with more picks.
OPPirates
Rookie

Postby Jwood » Fri Apr 01, 2005 8:40 pm

Aaron Rodgers is the man
Jwood
Rookie

Postby TBLCommish » Sat Apr 02, 2005 8:37 pm

skeeza00 wrote:My guess is Rodgers will be the pick. I would take Brown over Benson.

Me too!! Brown is the complete package!
TBLCommish
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Endzone_Express » Mon Apr 04, 2005 2:22 pm

From what I've been able to read so far, the Niners are definitely looking to draft Aaron Rodgers in the 1st round.

And I agree the Niners have many needs... so trading down, getting some extra picks and a good QB prospect to rebuild a team around makes a lot of sense to me! There are sure to be at least 3-4 teams who will be seriously interested in moving up to get Benson this year. Overall, this years rookie class does not seem to be nearly as deep or talented as last years, especially at the skill positions.
Endzone_Express
Rookie

Postby 4U2NV » Tue Apr 05, 2005 3:36 am

The only problem with trying to trade down is that there's not really any teams looking to trade up. This is probably the worst year to have the top picks because there's no clear-cut number 1 that everybody wants to get their hands on. Plus, with the depth at some of these positions teams drafting can still find a player to fill a need without having to move up in order to do it. It would surpise me if San Francisco, Miami and Cleveland are able to trade their picks this year. The top three picks will be Rodgers, Brown and Smith in that order.
4U2NV
Veteran

Postby Loqutis » Tue Apr 05, 2005 8:05 pm

The 49ers will not draft a RB. they'll give Barlow another shot to earn his fat contract. They just cleaned house and lifted a ton of cap room. they're not about to do it again by drafting a RB and paying big money to the backup. Playing or released, Barlow will cost San Fran some serious money so they try it one more time.

4U2NV wrote:The only problem with trying to trade down is that there's not really any teams looking to trade up. .

The Browns need a QB and there's nothing that says both San Fran and Miami do not each select a QB. that's incentive enough for them to move up and take San Frans #1 pick

The Vikings want either Edwards or Mike Wiliams, but selecting 7 means both may be gone at that point. So they could trade up to #1 -#3 spot and take their man

Arizona needs a stud RB. they could take San Fran's #1 pick.

Dallas needs both a QB and a WR so they could move up

KC needs a WR but they do nothing and have a terrible draft once again

Baltimore vcould use a stud WR . They went after Owens a proven player but maybe they'll make a move for one of the top 2 in the draft this year. They're not afraid to make a move so I wouldn't put it past them

There's already Talk of San Diego trading their first rounder to San Fran for Rivers. So that mean the charger's would have the #1 pick and they'll take one of the big WRs

Maybe Seattle could swing a trade to Miami for their first in exchange for Alexander who wants out. I would be surprised if Alexander plays in Seattle this year. The fact that Holgrem screwed him out of the rushing title last year was the last straw. Mike has mentioned on several occasions that Alexander is average and could be easily replaced by Morrise in the lineup.

So as you can see many, many things could occur on draft day. I for one don't see San Fran taking the 31 pick
Loqutis
All Pro
All Pro

Postby TBLCommish » Wed Apr 06, 2005 1:40 am

Thats why we all turn out and watch the draft. :wink:
Elite Dynasty Fantasy Football
http://www.thebigleague.net
TBLCommish
All Pro
All Pro

On The Clock - San Francisco 49ers

Postby Dammit » Thu Apr 07, 2005 6:04 pm

The 49ers have reported that they would like for Aaron Rodgers, Alex Smith and Braylon Edwards to get their negotiators to them to discuss financial desires in behalf of the three players.
Dammit
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby TBLCommish » Thu Apr 07, 2005 6:54 pm

Mark my words... They will NOT draft a QB with the #1 overall pick. If they don't trade down(I bet they do) Edwards is their man!

You heard it here 1st!
Elite Dynasty Fantasy Football
http://www.thebigleague.net
TBLCommish
All Pro
All Pro

Return to RealTime Board