Calvin Johnsons "No Catch"

Discuss issues and ideas not related to fantasy sports.

Calvin Johnsons "No Catch"

Postby yew2 » Tue Sep 14, 2010 9:16 pm

Aree you kidding me??? I dont want to sound like a whining Lions Fan but I find it hard to swallow when that was so obviously a catch and winning score by CJ. Is that what the NFL intended to do when they instituted this stupid rule? I agree that the rule is supposed to help in securing the ball and that you must maintain control but this is an obvious rape job by the NFL rules committee. Two feet down, body contact to rule him down by contact, an ass cheek touches then a elbow, a hand and then the ball in one hand pushing himself up to celebrate is what cancels the whole thing? UNEXCUSABLE!! If he would of rolled over on that ass cheek and spiked the ball instead of touching it to the ground would he of gotten a 15 yd penalty or the same stupid call of incomplete? This is the other kinda of thing Goodell should be looking at when he wants to spew off about integrity of the game. Nothing can hurt the league or fans more that robbing hard working atheletes of obvious accomplishments. And oh yeah, it was a second act after posession and oh yeah, the ground cant cause a fumble. Would the league have made the same call against R. Wayne and the Colts or Welker and the Patriots. That whole scenario was just simply disgracful. GO DETROIT!!! still the armpit of America
yew2
Veteran

Postby Boosh » Tue Sep 14, 2010 10:03 pm

YES the league would have made the same call against Wayne, Moss, or anyone else. you said you are trying not to sound like a whining fan but then you accuse the NFL of having it out for the Lions. haha

The rule should be open to more interpretation, more of a judgement call by the referee. Im not gonna defend the rule, but the call was correct. there is a big difference between him rolling over and spiking the ball and what actually happened. When you watch the replay closely, CJ dropped the ball when it touches the ground. He didnt put the ball down or toss the ball. he dropped it. you can see it slip right out of his hand.

like i said, im not gonna say that should not have been a TD, i agree that he had the ball for a long time, long enough to be a TD in my opinion. but according to the rules that is no catch, he did drop the ball and there is no denying that watching the replay.
Boosh
Rookie

Postby FootballBuddah » Wed Sep 15, 2010 1:53 am

"Yew" should be used to losing though - you're a Lions fan!

Tough break though. Common sense says it was a TD, (two feet down, down by contact, ground can't cause a fumble, etc...) but yeah - by rule, it was not a catch.
FootballBuddah
All Pro
All Pro

Postby yew2 » Wed Sep 15, 2010 9:26 pm

Yaaaada, yada, yada. Yes Boosh, to the letter of the rule u r right and so is the ref who made the call. And ok, you got me I do kinda feel like being a whining Lions fan. The fact remains that before the rule was instituted, it was a catch. Along comes this rule about maintaining posession, which for the most part is a good rule but way, way to literalized in this situation. I have seen and re-seen the replay many times and you cant deny that he had posession. when the cheek touches he is DOWN. when the two hands seperate and one touches the ground with cheek on the floor he is DOWN. Maybe the league does not specifacally target the the losing tradition of the Lions but you are as crazy as I am if you think that the League does not cater to the likes of its superstars and better franchises. Take the Tom Brady roughing call for one example or since I'm talking New England how about the snow thrower for Adam Vinetari? Both cases of serious BS and catering to the icon or the franchise. I'm not saying the NFL is as blatent as the NBA but serving the business does exist and face it some teams/players are afforded more by the league than others. I only hope that particular incident forces the league to re evaluate this rule so that nothing this silly ever happens again
yew2
Veteran

Postby Dapostman » Wed Sep 15, 2010 10:19 pm

yew2 wrote:Yaaaada, yada, yada. Yes Boosh, to the letter of the rule u r right and so is the ref who made the call. And ok, you got me I do kinda feel like being a whining Lions fan. The fact remains that before the rule was instituted, it was a catch. Along comes this rule about maintaining posession, which for the most part is a good rule but way, way to literalized in this situation. I have seen and re-seen the replay many times and you cant deny that he had posession. when the cheek touches he is DOWN. when the two hands seperate and one touches the ground with cheek on the floor he is DOWN. Maybe the league does not specifacally target the the losing tradition of the Lions but you are as crazy as I am if you think that the League does not cater to the likes of its superstars and better franchises. Take the Tom Brady roughing call for one example or since I'm talking New England how about the snow thrower for Adam Vinetari? Both cases of serious BS and catering to the icon or the franchise. I'm not saying the NFL is as blatent as the NBA but serving the business does exist and face it some teams/players are afforded more by the league than others. I only hope that particular incident forces the league to re evaluate this rule so that nothing this silly ever happens again

You are correct in stating that the league caters to star/whinner players. Brian Griese got hit in the knee and was lost for the season but there wasn't a RULE change until sissy Tom Brady did. The exact same play. So what if Tampa lost Griese, BFD. But heavens forbid if Tommy crybaby gets hit. What a bunch of bullsh*t! Eff these star crybabies.
NFL: Buccaneers
MLB: Cardinals
NBA: Celtics
NCAAF: FSU Seminoles
Dapostman
All Pro
All Pro

Return to Off Topic