suggestion for tie breakers

Discuss issues and ideas not related to fantasy sports.

suggestion for tie breakers

Postby Bo_34 » Mon Sep 20, 2010 3:33 am

it does not make sense to have the tie breaker be the starting qb's points,or any other starter for that matter.their points have already been figured into the equation.it should be left up to some other "device".the tie should be broken via bench points.this makes the most sense.
Bo_34
All Pro
All Pro

Postby rwood37 » Mon Sep 20, 2010 4:30 am

Total bench points is appropriate or have each team designate a non-starter as their tiebreaker.
rwood37
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Bo_34 » Mon Sep 20, 2010 5:08 am

for reals.we need to retro-activate that rule.i tied today and was happy as hell cuz i killed it in bench points.the worst part is i started Romo over Vick at the last second.then,within like 5 minutes,CJ got a 85 yarder called back and Wallace got a 15 yarder called back.both on holding calls.
Bo_34
All Pro
All Pro

Postby NotoriousRJF » Tue Sep 21, 2010 5:02 pm

Bench points breaking ties is a terrible idea and should be avoided.

First, the guys on the bench are there for a reason, because you didnt want them to start that week. Why should guys you already chose not to participate this week determine the outcome? I dont want any players I chose not to put in my starting line up determining the outcome of any game.

Second, due to BYE weeks in weeks 4-10, this causes and unfair advantage to teams. If 3 of my bench players are on the bench due to BYE weeks, they have no chance of scoring that week. So now I would be penalized and hit with a loss simply because I had 3 bye week guys and my opponent did not? Totally unfair, games being determined by players who are not even playing.

The answer is Decimal scoring, dont change the overall point values, just change the point at which they are awarded. So if 10 yards rushing = 1 pt, then 1 yard rushing = .1 pt. Passing is a little tougher, but using .2 pts per every 5 yards works out just fine (25 yards = 1 pt). Decimal scoring makes it very hard to tie in any given week, while not 100% it is the best option available.
NotoriousRJF
Rookie

Postby Dapostman » Tue Sep 21, 2010 5:06 pm

NotoriousRJF wrote:Bench points breaking ties is a terrible idea and should be avoided.

First, the guys on the bench are there for a reason, because you didnt want them to start that week. Why should guys you already chose not to participate this week determine the outcome? I dont want any players I chose not to put in my starting line up determining the outcome of any game.

Second, due to BYE weeks in weeks 4-10, this causes and unfair advantage to teams. If 3 of my bench players are on the bench due to BYE weeks, they have no chance of scoring that week. So now I would be penalized and hit with a loss simply because I had 3 bye week guys and my opponent did not? Totally unfair, games being determined by players who are not even playing.

The answer is Decimal scoring, dont change the overall point values, just change the point at which they are awarded. So if 10 yards rushing = 1 pt, then 1 yard rushing = .1 pt. Passing is a little tougher, but using .2 pts per every 5 yards works out just fine (25 yards = 1 pt). Decimal scoring makes it very hard to tie in any given week, while not 100% it is the best option available.

You mean there are leagues that don't use decimal scoring?
NFL: Buccaneers
MLB: Cardinals
NBA: Celtics
NCAAF: FSU Seminoles
Dapostman
All Pro
All Pro

Postby rwood37 » Tue Sep 21, 2010 5:55 pm

Right, I assumed decimal scoring here... Ties are going to happen even with decimal scoring (remote chance, though). You're kind of limited on your tiebreaker options if you need to break a tie... Nothing wrong with looking towards the strength of your bench to decide that. If someone has a bunch of players on a bye, oh well, it's just a tiebreaker anyways.
rwood37
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Bo_34 » Tue Sep 21, 2010 6:17 pm

rwood37 wrote:Right, I assumed decimal scoring here... Ties are going to happen even with decimal scoring (remote chance, though). You're kind of limited on your tiebreaker options if you need to break a tie... Nothing wrong with looking towards the strength of your bench to decide that. If someone has a bunch of players on a bye, oh well, it's just a tiebreaker anyways.

the bye week thing just makes the draft that more crucial.just another element to think about when drafting.the only way i can think to explain it,and it is really a half a$$ way to do so,is double jeopardy.how can something that has already been a factor figure into it again.to take it a step further there should not be a 2nd individual game tie breaker.if bench points tie you should just consider it a tie.having an individual player decide a tie is crap.the current structure is QB points.say a game is tied 63-63 but one team has RB's like Chris Johnson and Garrard as QB and the other has Caddy and Bush with Schaub as QB.should the one team be penalized because he went RB RB instead of getting QB in first two rounds?
Bo_34
All Pro
All Pro

Postby FootballBuddah » Wed Sep 22, 2010 6:50 pm

I say a tie is a tie is a tie.

Otherwise, I had a rule in one of my older leagues that the team with the highest scoring STARTER won the tie-breaker. If they are tied, you go to the next highest starter, etc, and so on.
FootballBuddah
All Pro
All Pro

Return to Off Topic