Upon further review

Discuss issues and ideas not related to fantasy sports.

Upon further review

Postby ramnation18 » Mon Nov 14, 2011 4:17 pm

Q 1. When a referee goes into a booth to review a play does he actually remember what the call on the field is? I say it's 50-50. Q2: If a play is being reviewed in the booth under 2 minutes and say it's for a completion. What lattitude is given for him to review other things like say did he step out of bounds and come onto the field to catch the ball/was their holding/pass interference on the play? I say they make it up as they go along! Q3. Why can't a coach challenge a play under 2 minutes?
ramnation18
All Pro
All Pro

Postby FootballBuddah » Tue Nov 15, 2011 1:11 am

Q1: Of course he remembers the call on the field! I think the fact that they actually announce it as, "TEAM X is challenging the ruling on the field of a completion", helps them to remember as they trot to the booth. I often wonder if the ref repeats that over and over to himself as he's going over there too!!

Q2: He can look to see if the play is a completion; including if the player stepped out of bounds. However, I do not believe that he can look to see if there was a penalty (that was not called).

Q3: Because the officials review them automatically. Same with all scoring plays. No need to let the coaches even think about it - they have enough to think about... like going for it on 4th and inches from their own 30 in OT!! C'mon man!
FootballBuddah
All Pro
All Pro

Postby ramnation18 » Wed Nov 16, 2011 1:53 am

Thanks for your response! 1. I guess they can't say we screwed up so we are going to overturn our call on the field. Sometimes you wonder how they can overturn some of their own calls. 2. Gronkowski's overturned td monday night - what if he was pushed out when Brady was in the pocket-pass interference? 3. Sometimes the coaches are caught waiting for a replay and they don't get it and lose valuable time under 2 minutes. Punt the ball Mike Smith!!! Thanks again!
ramnation18
All Pro
All Pro

Return to Off Topic