Power Rankings Roster category

Share advice with other fantasy league commissioners. Trade trips and tricks.

Power Rankings Roster category

Postby bruceriv68 » Tue Dec 29, 2020 1:54 am

Has anyone figured out how the Roster category is calculated for the Power Rankings?
Our Keeper league has wondered about this for a long time. It came up again today because one of our best teams (11-3) has a roster value of 10, and one of our worst teams (4-10) is a roster value of 1. I know record doesn't necessarily matter, but the perceived talent on both teams matches up with the records. The 4-10 team doesn't do anything with their team.

It would be great if we could get the actual calculation on how this is being done. We are thinking of using the Power Rankings to determine the draft order for the non-playoff teams next year rather than just based on worst records.

Bruce
bruceriv68
Rookie

Re: Power Rankings Roster category

Postby ChrisToeFer » Tue Dec 29, 2020 9:05 pm

I believe the current method for that is just adding up the starting lineup's projected points for the week. Team with most projected points gets a 1 for that category.
ChrisToeFer
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby bruceriv68 » Wed Dec 30, 2020 5:35 pm

That would explain why it changes so much week to week, but there seems to be more to it. I checked our league, and that doesn't work out. Our number 1 ranked roster is actually 8th on projected starting lineup week score and 9th if I include entire roster.

Bruce

ChrisToeFer wrote:I believe the current method for that is just adding up the starting lineup's projected points for the week. Team with most projected points gets a 1 for that category.
bruceriv68
Rookie

Postby ChrisToeFer » Wed Dec 30, 2020 7:11 pm

You're right, it also adds in the player's 3-week points scoring average. So this week's projected points plus their 3 week average.

bruceriv68 wrote:That would explain why it changes so much week to week, but there seems to be more to it. I checked our league, and that doesn't work out. Our number 1 ranked roster is actually 8th on projected starting lineup week score and 9th if I include entire roster.

Bruce

ChrisToeFer wrote:I believe the current method for that is just adding up the starting lineup's projected points for the week. Team with most projected points gets a 1 for that category.
ChrisToeFer
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby bruceriv68 » Wed Dec 30, 2020 11:43 pm

That still didn't match up for our league. I did the calc with weeks projected score and each starting players 3 week average. The results were different. 3 week average for the entire roster was pretty close, but still had differences. It seems like there is still something else in the calculations. I tried removing injured/questionable players from the entire roster 3 week average, but the rankings were still different. I think weekly projection + 3 week average seems like a good way to calc it, but it seems like there is still another variable being used.

Bruce

ChrisToeFer wrote:You're right, it also adds in the player's 3-week points scoring average. So this week's projected points plus their 3 week average.

bruceriv68 wrote:That would explain why it changes so much week to week, but there seems to be more to it. I checked our league, and that doesn't work out. Our number 1 ranked roster is actually 8th on projected starting lineup week score and 9th if I include entire roster.

Bruce

bruceriv68
Rookie

Postby bruceriv68 » Thu Jan 07, 2021 7:09 pm

Hello Chris,
After looking at the roster rankings over the last couple of weeks, it seems like it isn't using the set starting lineup.
I moved all my players to the bench since I was knocked out of the playoffs and my roster ranking actually got better.

It would be great if you could find out what the actual calculation is.

Bruce

ChrisToeFer wrote:You're right, it also adds in the player's 3-week points scoring average. So this week's projected points plus their 3 week average.

Bruce

bruceriv68
Rookie

Postby ChrisToeFer » Thu Jan 07, 2021 8:44 pm

This is just an arbitrary algorithm we came up with and adjusted a few times to dial it in, not really meant for anything more than a discussion point. As you can tell it's going to be skewed by temporary injuries and short term performance and projections. Exactly what we want for a snapshot of a given week's power ranking, but probably not what you want for a dynasty-like look at a roster's strength.

But here's more details on it:
last 3 weeks avg points of every (bench and starting) player that is not Injury=Out or worse
plus
every starter's projected points for the next 3 weeks (starting with this week)

I don't believe we show player's projected points for more than the current week, but we get them from PFA and you can possibly find them there if you want to do all the math yourself.
ChrisToeFer
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby bruceriv68 » Fri Jan 08, 2021 10:51 pm

Thanks Chris,
That's exactly what I wanted to know, and now I see why I couldn't figure it out given the 3 week predicted scores that aren't on the site. I can also see why it changes so much. If a player gets hurts, its 3 weeks worth of the scores that get changed to 0. I don't really need to calculate it. Now I can tell everyone what it is so they stop asking.

Bruce

ChrisToeFer wrote:This is just an arbitrary algorithm we came up with and adjusted a few times to dial it in, not really meant for anything more than a discussion point. As you can tell it's going to be skewed by temporary injuries and short term performance and projections. Exactly what we want for a snapshot of a given week's power ranking, but probably not what you want for a dynasty-like look at a roster's strength.

But here's more details on it:
last 3 weeks avg points of every (bench and starting) player that is not Injury=Out or worse
plus
every starter's projected points for the next 3 weeks (starting with this week)

I don't believe we show player's projected points for more than the current week, but we get them from PFA and you can possibly find them there if you want to do all the math yourself.
bruceriv68
Rookie

Return to Commissioner's Corner