Opening Week

Talk fantasy baseball, player evaluation, strategies and all things baseball!

Opening Week

Postby KP5150 » Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:18 am

With only 4 days in week one & many teams playing only 3 out of the 4 days, have you considered combining weeks 1 & 2? The number 4 & 5 pitchers in many rotations will not even make a start in week one. Just wondering if anyone else has raised this concern with you.
KP5150
Rookie

Re: Opening Week

Postby Jackal31 » Tue Mar 27, 2018 4:05 pm

I too was wondering about this. I wanted to confirm that week one was going to be limited to 4 days.

Thanks in advance.
Jackal31
Rookie

Postby KP5150 » Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:10 pm

What's going on!?!? I was going to have to drop players I just drafted just in order to fill out my starting rotation b/c of this short first week. But now I can't even do that. Add/Drops are locked... WHY?
KP5150
Rookie

Postby ChrisToeFer » Wed Mar 28, 2018 7:11 am

Yes, week one is the four days from Thu - Sun.

Unrestricted Free Agent Period is only on Mondays every week, it's been in the rules since November.
After the waiver wire completes, an unrestricted free agent period will open at 7:00am ET on Monday and will close when the first game starts that week or Monday at 11:59pm ET which ever comes first.
ChrisToeFer
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby KP5150 » Wed Mar 28, 2018 2:22 pm

That's crap! So, now I have start a man down. I've been with you guys since 2010 & don't ever remember a situation like this. Has the baseball season ever started on a Thursday before?
KP5150
Rookie

Postby ChrisToeFer » Wed Mar 28, 2018 2:31 pm

No it has not. In our defense, your league home page had a huge red notice at the top of it for the last few weeks stating when waivers and unrestricted free agency would be in the first week.
ChrisToeFer
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby KP5150 » Wed Mar 28, 2018 3:16 pm

I remember something about waivers, but I guess I missed the free agent part. I just assumed the free agency period would run up until the start of the season. I don't get why you guys cut it off on Monday. I guess you guys covered yourselves, and It's my fault for not paying closer attention... but it still sucks to start the season with an incomplete lineup. I wish you guys would've combined the first two weeks & this wouldn't have even been an issue.
KP5150
Rookie

Postby Rivercats1 » Wed Mar 28, 2018 3:31 pm

This is the only league I have seen only have 4 games the first week. all the others I have seen or heard about have 11 games their first week. But its not going to change this year.
Rivercats1
Rookie

Postby KP5150 » Wed Mar 28, 2018 6:15 pm

Can you please explain why the free agent period ended on Monday when the first game isn't until Thursday? This makes absolutely no sense to me! For a normal week Monday to Sunday, this makes perfect sense "...free agent period will open at 7:00am ET on Monday and will close when the first game starts that week or Monday at 11:59pm ET which ever comes first." NOT for this week starting on a THURSDAY!
KP5150
Rookie

Postby ChrisToeFer » Wed Mar 28, 2018 6:37 pm

KP5150 wrote:Can you please explain why the free agent period ended on Monday when the first game isn't until Thursday? This makes absolutely no sense to me!

A number of factors went into it. Consistency with every other week and every other season is one... as Monday free agency is all we have ever had in previous seasons and is all we will have for every other week of this season. Another is that having free agency open for 4 days would create advantages to people sitting at their computer when news is reported. For example, news comes out on Tuesday that Scott Kingery or Jordan Hicks (or whoever) makes the opening day roster and could play a significant role this season and the first owner that sees the news gets the player. There are a couple other minor factors as well, but you get the idea.
ChrisToeFer
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby KP5150 » Wed Mar 28, 2018 7:12 pm

You said in an earlier post that this is the first time the season has ever started on a Thursday. So why are you trying to be consistent with a typical season when this is NOT a typical start to the season? That logic doesn't compute, unless it's just "easier" for you to not change anything... that seems more likely to me. So if you're worried about "people sitting at their computers when news breaks" then start the free agency period on Wednesday & end it on Thursday for week 1. What if Bumgarner had broken his hand on the 27th instead of the 23rd? I know you're not going to change anything this year, but in the future I think you should really sit down & think about how taking the easy way out might affect your customers.
KP5150
Rookie

Postby ChrisToeFer » Wed Mar 28, 2018 7:42 pm

MLB starts differently every year, one year it started 2 weeks early for 2 teams on a Saturday in Australia. Another year it started in Japan for 2 teams then the rest of the teams a week later on a Wednesday. Recently it's been on Sunday or Monday. We've had to make significant changes to make it all work every season, including this one starting on a Thursday. So no, we don't just take the easy way out.

There's something to be said for consistency, and the only consistent thing is we have free agency on Monday every year. Our customers have come to expect it over the last decade and to change that would also have an impact to many of them. We do think about how these things impact our customers, and we realize not everyone will agree or intuitively know about all our decisions. That's why we clearly state how things will work in the rules and in this case plastered that all over your league home pages for weeks before the season started. Perhaps you should sit down & think about taking some responsibility for not reading either one. We always have and always will continue to sit down & think about how all of this impacts our customers before opening any leagues.
ChrisToeFer
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby KP5150 » Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:01 pm

I did take responsibility for it above, "...and It's my fault for not paying closer attention." I just don't agree with how you arrived at your decision for the free agent period this year or choosing not combine weeks 1 & 2. It would've been much more difficult logistically to do that, I understand... which is why I still think you chose the easy way out, but I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree.
KP5150
Rookie

Postby PhillyTod » Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:34 pm

I agree w/ KP5150 completely if the unrestricted free agent period is when 1st game starts or Mon per your rules then that's what it should & I don't recall seeing anywhere to the contracy. Mahalo, Tod
PhillyTod
Rookie

Postby PhillyTod » Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:21 pm

Upon further thought, I understand RTS thought process as the one who reads about Kingery 1st would get the worm so only Mon on week one as well is the fairest possible for all just wish it stated more accuratly in the rules.
PhillyTod
Rookie

Next

Return to RealTime Baseball